Wednesday, March 05, 2008

3D Interactive Advertising in Video

When I read this on TechCrunch I knew I had to share it with people. And since I couldn't think of anyone to email right away to share the news, posting again today seemed like a great idea.

The concept of placing realistic-looking 3D products or other virtual items into video and making them interactive for advertising purposes is not only incredibly intelligent in the promotional way but also in terms of technical advancement. As for the promotional aspect, this could be very powerful, aside from the initial novelty. The ability for me to interact with a product to capture my interest and then to be linked to where I can get a product closer to the moment I think I want it translates into a more likely sale. Ease of information and instant gratification is nothing new for our society. Make this a widget and get it to go viral and you've got a winner on all levels. Good marketing in a nutshell, right? Or did I miss something?

Placing 3D models/animation in actual footage has been a movie special effect for a while. The difference here is the interactivity aspect and the marketing angle. I don't know much about Innovid but I assume that this will be pretty simple to start- in that the 3D object will be the only interactive part. However, it does bring us one step closer to more true interactive entertainment. That is the part that could get really interesting in the future.

I don't usually cover technologies and this is probably my first post about anything 3D. But a little known fact about me is that I love 3D modeling and animation. For some reason I have always been attracted to the merging of two creative worlds - the real and the modeled - ever since I learned how it worked in college.

No comments: