Monday, March 10, 2008

Social Networking and Personal Websites

Lately, I have been on a bit of a mission to make my involvement in social networking more complete. (Anyone who actually reads my Blog at this point also notices an increase in recent activity here, too.) I am pretty excited to get all of these networks up to date, considering that I went for about a year being very passive in my involvement. However, the work is a bit overwhelming right now: updating my address book, following up on conversations via email, updating my LinkedIn contacts, adding friends on Facebook, thinking about getting in the habit of using Twitter, getting images up to Flickr, updating my RSS feeds to include new people/blogs and blogging- to name some of the things on my to do list for tonight. And this doesn't even count the newer services that may be cool to try out and use.

In the midst of all this I still don't know what to do with my regular old website (www.the315.com). It has had many purposes over the years but with all these other social networking sites and services, where does that leave my personal website? A lame repeat of information? A blog host? A page of links? Just 6 years ago it was getting good traffic as I showcased my design skills and logged my travels with updates and pictures the old-fashioned html way. But for the last 2 years it has been a homepage of links and space to host random things in the background.

I guess I need to dedicate some more effort to this issue. But I can't imagine that I am the only one that struggles with this. (Has a startup solved this problem for me yet and I just missed the post on TechCrunch!?!)

No comments: