Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Rant On Requirements

I spend a lot of time reading requirements for various programs and projects. Have you ever read a requirements document? If so, you know how tedious they can, and need, to be. I like detail in light of the big picture, so, I think I do pretty well at creating comprehensive requirements and analyzing for comprehensiveness. However, it bothers me a little that my project teams don't really read them. Everyone says they reviewed them and I believe most give it a good scan (at least their parts). But especially when you are working with contractors and/or budgets, a scan by everyone isn't good enough. Yet, in their defense, I do sympathize that they have other job responsibilities and probably find the RD somewhat intimidating (or boring).

Well, this is where I feel the pressure as the program/project manager. The responsibility to make sure we have a comprehensive set falls on me. I am comfortable with this - yet this is where it is crucial that I know my scope and stakeholders before beginning the requirements gathering process. So, if you ever participate on a program or project team, please be patient through the initial steps. You may know your stuff, but the PM needs to get that information from you as well as possible.

Let me know if you want a 3,000+ requirements document to chill with and I will send you a link ;)

No comments: