Sunday, March 23, 2008

PlanetDC.org and the DC Tech Community

After my last post a few people mentioned PlanetDC.org to me. I am really glad that someone else in DC has already thought to put all of the blogs in one place. --You know they say no ideas are new, the difference is how you act upon them. So, I am still going to finish up my snazzy widget and get it out there.

As for DCTechBlogs.com, I'm not sure what I will do because I don't know if we need a copy website. And I know other blogs are talking a lot about defining and organizing the DC tech community. Perhaps some interesting ideas of "how to" will come out of the conversations, including a use for that domain.

However, the problem I see with the ultimate conversation is that it needs to be larger than us. A scene or a city doesn't become well-known or draw new talent and companies because the same inner people are conversing. Which I understand, there are a lot of really smart and talented people here that care about this stuff. As a newcomer into the community (if you guys will let me call it that) I have noticed that there is a bit of insularity going on. If this is going to be a thriving community/scene/city we need to open it up and get the rest of the world talking with and about us.

This is why something like a widget makes sense to me. We can get it out on different pages that the wider audience are likely to go to and show them what we know has been going on.

That said, I still see a value in the focused conversation but perhaps as one of many things that should be going on...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Liz,

Good job, I agree with you that the conversation does need to be larger than the "community" as a whole. We do want outsiders, if you will, to see DC as a whole and know t is vibrant and a good place to be.

And yes you are right as is Ross in his post that there is a bit of insularity. It is only natural. We cant hope to bring everything together, but we can work on our little corner and try to fit it in the grand scheme of the bigger picture.

take care

Nick ONeill said...

Why is my blog missing from that PlanetDC.org site? Who manages planetdc?

As an aside I agree an there are definitely things taking place. I'm working on a platform that manages all participants and companies involved in "D.C. entrepreneurship" ... it's not just the insulated new media community

Anyways, it should be up in the next couple weeks. Hopefully this week but it's hard to blog & develop at the same time :)