Monday, March 24, 2008

Behavioral Economics and Predicting the Future of Social Media

Lately, I have been reading a book on behavioral economics called Predictably Irrational and I have been noticing quite a few articles and blog posts analyzing the future of social media.

Behavioral economics is a bit of a buzz phrase right now but I don't think that diminishes the strength in the lessons we can learn from that field. It seems to me that people are comfortable with the current state of social networks and are busy theorizing about advanced applications. I enjoy reading the different perspectives and predictions. However, most of them seem to be purely opinion and based on personal experience. Which is also reasonable but not theories I feel comfortable completely buying into.

I would love to see an analysis of the future of social media that took into account behavioral economics. (I haven't even finished reading my first book on behavioral economics, so, it won't be me doing the analysis right away.) I also think more companies should read into the basic aspects of human irrationality, especially the aspects that could directly impact their users' experiences and therefore the company's bottom line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

will definitely check out the book