Wednesday, January 18, 2006

On the frontline

I discovered www.free-culture.org a student organization founded upon Lessig's Free Culture book that we are reading. It is interesting to see that other students were so inspired by his book. Also, I would like to mention the Electronic Frontier Foundation in here as it is great for getting filled in on the latest "battles"...

Speaking of battles, I stumbled upon this article while doing a Google News search:
"Just Released: Will Congress Circumvent the DMCA? Explosive Dangers in New Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act, Says IPI"

I can tell it is the other side of the DMCA/DMCRA debate (see the EFF's DMCA Archive for pro-reform info). But, after reading that article I realized how little I know about the players on the DMCA/DMCRA frontline.

2 comments:

Piotr Konieczny said...

I am not sure if a you guys are still working out the specifics of your DG projects, but getting involved with freeculture.org and organizing a CC meeting at Pitt would probably fit the project framework (if I can be any judge). I'd certainly be happy to drop by on such a meeting :)

Liz said...

Piotr - I think you are speaking to our class tonight. If possible, maybe you could mention what you know about freeculture.org or a CC meeting.