Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Personal Branding and My Brand

With all the talk about PR and personal brands, I have recently wondered how it is that one approaches creating their own brand. Do most people develop a personal brand strategy? Do they just analyze in passing on the Metro or do they actually write a strategic plan for themselves? And what drives them to desire a personal brand? Driving business, getting recognition or something else? Or maybe most people create their personal brand as an unintentional byproduct of their real goals.

This makes me reflect on my own personal brand. Not because I need one, but because I am someone with an online personality. But I don't like to think of it as a brand. I just want to think of it as an accurate representation of me. Nothing strategic, just me.

Maybe I am off base. I would love to talk more about this with people.

So, in my reflection on personal brand I did a bit of soul digging. Here are a few core things about me:
* I love technology. I am particularly interested in how new advancements change our culture, use and approaches to developing technology. Getting an opportunity to explain this stuff to people is great.
* I like adventures. Through travel or outdoor activities, adventures provide the perfect balance and perspective in my life.
* I like to be organized. I like to see how I can be more effective and efficient.
* I like art. Anything aesthetically pleasing with meaning.
* I like to help and inspire people, especially in regard to technology.
* I love to learn anything about and related to any of the above.

Does that make a brand? I guess it is more of a list of interests that drive my actions that represent me. Hopefully, this comes through all of my other posts. But would anyone argue that a representation of one's interests is still lacking the extra strategy that is fundamental to a personal brand?

No comments: