Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mobile Phones

So, after spending an hour yesterday cleaning the trackball on my BlackBerry Pearl while hoping I didn't break it, I have been thinking a lot about mobile phones:

First thought, can I even call it a phone anymore? I definitely email more from this mobile device than I speak into it. But then again, VOIP and Fring might revive this for others.

Second thought, how much does size matter in relation to capabilities? For those of you that know me in person, you know that the pockets on my clothes cannot be that big. That is why I own a little Pearl with little buttons on it. It fits me. If Apple was to release an iPhone with 3G and GPS, would I consider it worth the extra bulky pocket?

(Side thought, the new Google Maps app makes a pretty respectable attempt at finding me without GPS. Not creepy at all!)

Third thought, the cameras in phones still leave something to be desired. My digital camera is small and cute and has nice features and takes good pictures. The BlackBerry Pearl camera, well, I have to be pretty desperate to use it. (To be fair, I like that they got a flash in there.) And I know the iPhone takes pretty good pictures. But admittedly, they still have a ways to go.

Fourth thought, and you know what, I want video, too. (So, demanding!)

Fifth thought, I want my music to listen to and videos to watch without carrying another device. Again, still lacking here. My music collection wouldn't fit on any of the current phones.

Sixth thought, back to the dirty trackball. I will trust my friends with iPhones that touch screen is the way to go. At least I wouldn't be cleaning a tiny trackball for an hour every few months.

Last thought, I think Wi-Fi would be fun, too.

So, the final equation is: BlackBerry Pearl features and size + 3G + GPS + Canon SD1000 + video + 60 GB iPod + touch screen + Wi-Fi = perfect mobile device!

Now, I just have to wait for someone to make it - which is ok, I am stuck in a contract anyway :/

2 comments:

David Patton said...

Good points Liz. It appears that the IPhone has or will soon have just about everything you want. I think phone size is an issue for everyone. Even worse for people that carry multiple phones (work and personal).

Liam D said...

I am willing to bet that Blackberry will soon come out with a "touchscreen" version of their Blackberry. Apple and Blackberry seem to be moving in opposite directions - the former targeting business users, while the latter targets casual users. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top of either sector. Personally, I still prefer some sort of "flip" phone, although I can't send e-mails from it. Waiting for apple to put their iPhone onto Verizon, or for Blackberry to put the Curve onto Verizon...then i'll buy either. Good thoughts, all 6 of em!