Monday, March 31, 2008

I Would Prefer My Centralized Me Reside Here

First, read this TechCrunch article.

I am a fan of multiple online services and the creation of new services. However, I have a bit of an issue with the idea of my profiles and content reside in multiple places in multiple forms. It has always felt like a necessary evil in the field. So, I have come to accept this decentralization although I still question its sustainability.

With the advent of FriendFeed and the opening of platforms like on Facebook, etc., I think it is safe to say that a movement towards re-centralization may have begun.

And long ago, I began thinking about profile aggregation to solve the issue of maintaining multiple profiles. But I have never been sure that creating a profile aggregation/alignment service wouldn't just further complicate this problem by merely acting as an icing on the cake. Nonetheless, more than one company is trying this.

To me, what I desire is one step beyond the Data Portability Project in that it is data that resides here that is made portable not just all of my data shared by major services. In short, I have no ultimate solution but I would really prefer that my Centralized Me was here- on my site and under my ultimate control. One main profile on my domain that feeds all of my other profile pages with varying granules and privacy controls. As for content, I want it here, too. And other services can be applied to my content to provide the extra features for accessing and further connecting to others' content. I am not sure where the monetization exists in these suggestions but a lot of current services lack monetization strategies, too. And if I came up with that, well, I'd have a startup...

Personal websites/blogs are kind of a centralized location for us in a conceptual and forced way, but I wish I could have it all for real and here.

2 comments:

David Patton said...

Interesting post Liz. I understand your desire to have the centralized you reside on your blog, but I don't think most people have blogs. Whereas a lot of people do have a social network profile...

Anonymous said...

Liz - I'm totally with you that the next big phase in networking is disintermediation with 'me' at the wheel.