Thursday, March 13, 2008

Discovering New Music

I am not the trendiest of people but I do enjoy discovering lesser known, newer music. I used to love to buy CDs, especially at live shows. I like possessing the freedom to listen to music on demand and giving to the artists in return.

When going digital became an option, I did it. But for a while I struggled with the purchasing and owning music in digital form because of DRM. Many of my 2006 posts talk about copyright issues and such.

The tides changed and now I shop regularly on Amazon and iTunes for DRM free music. I love the convenience. It makes me giddy.

However, now my music discovery skills are rusty and times have changed a bit. I am learning new ways. So far, I peruse my friends' music lists on their profiles, sample online and glance at Amazon's recommendations from my selections. I have found some but less success listening to Pandora. The trouble with Pandora is that my musical tastes seem to random for it and it requires some dedicated teaching. I wish there were better routes of discovery. I think there is definitely some room for shaking up the music industry here.

I am looking for new ways...

No comments: