Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Free Culture and poisonous DRM

In Free Culture, Lessig discusses code, or digital rights management, as being the modern regulater of copyright freedom. I agree completely. However, I think the one point he didn't address (and maybe for good reason in forming his argument) was a possible negative public reaction to parasitic DRM techniques/code. In the corporate rush to prevent piracy I think some carelessly designed DRM is being used.

For example, recent Sony music cds installed software onto consumers computers that created security holes. The backlash has been huge.

Which causes me to ask, how much poisonous DRM will consumers put up with?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yes, your PoV does sound a bit bleak! I know the general population is slow to complain about these issues.

I think this has to change with the generations. Maybe its the Baby Boomers that are being rolled over because of the learning curve. Won't the story be a bit different when the tech-savy ranks below rise to their consuming peaks?